Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What the heck is wrong with Nintendo's customer service?!

Well...pretty much nothing, as far as I can tell.


We've had a Wii since Christmas, and mostly pretty happy with it. However, a month or so ago, a couple of the games started having problems where the unit couldn't read the discs. At first I assumed the kids just hadn't been handling the discs properly, but, upon further inspection I noticed that there were scratches around the perimeters of all of the discs. The scratches were perfectly circular, and seemed the same on all of the discs. Discs we played more had more scratches.

So, I called Nintendo customer service...the rep seemed skeptical, but went ahead and sent us a shipping label and told me to send the Wii in, along with the discs. (Nintendo paid for the shipping). After a week or so, I got an email asking me to contact them (at a different 1800 number). Fearing the worst, I called.

They essentially admitted the unit was at fault ("This can happen sometimes, especially if the unit is moved while the disc is running, but it shouldn't happen.") For the Nintendo licensed games, they said they would just replaced the discs for us. For the other, non-nintendo games, they said they did not have those discs to replace, but they offered to replace them with Nintendo games of our choice from their catalog. I didn't press the issue, so I don't know if I could've gotten some other form of satisfaction (cash?) if I didn't like that option. I picked some replacement games, and now they are sending the discs and unit back to me.

On the whole, I'm mostly very happy with the situation. Unfortunate that the unit scratched the discs, but, hey, things happen. Their customer service was pretty excellent, and no charge for the shipping was very good of them. A little annoying that they couldn't work something out with their licensee's to replace those discs, but on the other hand, we're getting new games. If we really want to play one of the other games we had, we can just buy it or rent it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home